Vanilla Gift Card is a prepaid card that can be used to buy anything. It is applicable for purchase at all retail or merchant stores where MasterCard or Visa card is accepted. It is a flexible short term spending option in the form of prepaid Vanilla or MasterCard.
For last minute shoppers, the prepaid Vanilla MasterCard acts as an ideal gift. The receiver can use it as a replacement for a credit card. It reduces the regular payment card options such as due payments or overspending. With this card, you don’t have to worry about credit ratings.
Where to buy?
There are multiple ways to buy a prepaid Vanilla MasterCard. You can get it from point of sales like banks, gas stations, and other retail partners mentioned below:
Express Mart, Walmart, Shell, Petro-Canada, 7Eleven, Corner Store, Best Buy, London Drugs, and Giant Tiger.
With Vanilla MasterCard, you can make purchases at grocery stores, online, or point of retails. Not to mention, they can be used for personal use, like pay bills and budget shopping.
Another payment method can be used in combination with the card at the time of purchase. In case the purchase amount exceeds the balance on your card, you can complete the payment with cash or debit/credit card.
For online payments, select “credit” as the mode of payment for using prepaid Vanilla MasterCard. The tax, shipping, and additional charges, if any, are deducted from the card. It is advisable to check the balance before making a purchase.
The refunds are credited to your card. It takes up to 30 days for the credit to reflect on the card.
How to check the balance?
When you use Vanilla MasterCard at physical stores, the cashier cannot learn about the available balance. Therefore, before and after using the card, always check the remaining balance.
The website URL and a toll free number are printed on the card. You can either check your balance online by visiting the website (www.vanillaprepaid.com) or by calling customer service. Once you sign using the card details such as card number, expiration date, and CVV, there is an option to check the balance.
When you call the toll free number 1-800-652-9174, a customer service representative attends to your request. For checking balance, they ask for details such as name and card number, following which you will be informed about the remaining balance.
Prepaid Vanilla MasterCard is available in multiple denominations starting from a minimum of $25. So, you completely control the amount you wish the receiver to spend. It comes in $25, $50, $100, and $200. However, the denominations differ for prepaid Vanilla Visa cards.
Fees and transaction limits associated with Vanilla MasterCard
Transaction limits vary for Vanilla Visa and MasterCard. It is a store bought, non-reloadable card. So, choose your gift card value wisely. The minimum limit is $25. The MasterCard comes with a daily spend of $500 and maximum card balance of $500.
You are charged an activation fee based on the denomination you choose. The activation fee for different denominations are as follows:
$3.95 for $25 card, $4.95 for $50 card, $5.95 for $100 card, $6.95 for $200 card, and $8.95 for $60 Multipack card.
Apart from the activation fee, there is a foreign exchange fee of 2.5% charged on foreign transactions. There are no other hidden charges or costs associated with the card as compared to regular debit/credit cards.
How to activate it?
When you purchase a prepaid Vanilla MasterCard from Walmart or other such store, it is activated immediately by the cashier when you sign the back of the card. However, it usually takes 24 hours for card activation. It has no value until it is activated.
Once activated, you must write down the card number and customer service number somewhere in case the card is lost or stolen.
Benefits of prepaid Vanilla MasterCard
The Vanilla MasterCard serves multiple purposes and benefits as compared to other cards. It can be used for personal use, or as a gift card for family and friends. It can even be given as a bonus to employees. Take a look at its benefits-
1. It can be used as a gift card for your spouse, teenagers, newly married couples, and parents. It allows the receiver to purchase anything of their choice without bothering you with overspending. It reduces the struggle to decide what could be a perfect gift for them and whether they would like it or not. Prepaid gift cards that work at almost all merchant sites and stores are a no match when it comes to gifts.
2. It serves as an allowance card for the children. As there are no other costs associated with Vanilla MasterCard apart from activation fee and the foreign exchange fee, you don’t have to worry about your kids drawing extra money. It is a reliable form of allowances to cover their expenses.
3. It is an ideal card to cover office expenses like stationery and supplies. You can use it as a reward for best employees or game winners during events.
4. When going for a short trip or excursion, use the card as a replacement for your credit card. This way you can make purchases on the go without the fear of losing your cash or credit card. If Vanilla MasterCard is lost, you only lose the amount you purchased it for (where the maximum amount is $200.)
5. It serves as a budget savvy option for households. Use the card for a specific expenditure such as grocery or laundry. This way you don’t exceed your monthly budget.
Limitations of prepaid Vanilla MasterCard
Like any other mode of payment, the prepaid Vanilla cards come with a few limitations.
- It is non-refundable and non-reloadable. You will have to buy a new card once the balance is utilized.
- They cannot be used at ATMs or petrol pumps.
- They are not eligible for cashback.
- They cannot be used for recurring bill payments.
- In case of a lost or stolen card, you can get a replacement only if you remember the card details and there is a remaining balance on it.
- The maximum card limit restricts its use for making large payments. It must be used in combination if the purchase amount exceeds the balance.
In a nutshell, prepaid Vanilla MasterCard serves as an excellent option for short term payments. The flexibility to choose the amount and eligibility to make a purchase at renowned retail points makes it an affordable choice of gift cards.